Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bad Mom?

Just want to say sorry for this semi long blog but I just wanted to rant a little. :)


This past few weeks there have been a few things that have happened that make me wonder if I am a bad mom. One thing that has kinda bugged me is the fact that every where I go people see Ryken and ask how old he is. After I respond they always seem to say "Wow, he is a big baby." Duh do you think that I don't know this. I am the one that carrys him around and cares for him. I don't know exactly why he is such a big baby but my whole thought is that it is just genetics. I was a pretty chubby baby as well as my brothers. I don't think that I feed him to much food or even give him to many bottles. Me being a first time mom I don't always know the right things to do. Well I have a book that maybe lots of first time moms have. Well I looked up some info in it about how much a baby is suppose to eat. And Ryken is eating exactly what it says. Maybe even less. SO he is just a big baby and thats what it is RIGHT? Oh and a funny thing happened when I was visiting my parents in Woodruff a couple of weeks ago too. It was Sunday and I went to church with my parents. And I had Ryken with me. After Relief Society a lady came up to me. She asked me...

" How old is he?"


"7 months old."


"Wow she says, and he is yours?"


"Yep"

"Does he have a big dad?"


"NO"


" I can't believe that you have such a big baby."


Why I ask can normal sized people have bigger than average sized babies? My mom was with me when this all happened and she just had to laugh. I wonder what size our other babies will be. All I know is that I LOVE MY CHUNKY MONKEY! And if others want to tell me that he is a big baby. I will just respond with a smile on my face and say Yes I know. :)


Also I don't know if this makes me a bad mom or not. But I try to find toys that I think will keep Ryken entertained for a while so that I have time to do things that I need to do. So of course a couple of months ago we got him an exersaucer.
He had really like this which of course makes me LOVE IT. Sometimes he does get bored with it. I have no idea how since it has what seems like hundreds of things to play with on it. :) I had seen this other toy online and in adds before and wanted to get it for him. Well needless to say Toys R US had a sale this week and so we went to get it. I figured he would like it since it had a mirror on it for him to look at himself which he loves to do. Once we got it home and tried hit out.... He didn't like it so much. But after a few more times tryin it out. He likes it now. Which gives me a little time to do things for me too. :)
I am sure I will continue to keep my eyes open for more fun toys and things that I think will keep him busy for awhile. Does that make me a bad mom? I am sure that I could think of a few other things but this blog is already long enought. Sorry. :) I do know that I LOVE Ryken and just want him to be happy. :)

12 comments:

Matt and Kaaryn said...

Of course you are not a bad mom! You have a beautiful baby.

Kyla said...

You are a great mommy! We all need time to ourselves, and that's when toy time is good! Ryken is such a cutie, and I love his cheeks! I get the same responses, but opposite, "She is SO little..." kinda makes me feel bad, but she's growing like she needs too, so I try not to listen; but being a first time mommy, it makes you feel like you are not taking care of your own child right. Oh well, people are crazy!

Tiffany said...

Ok, not that I know anything about having a baby, cuz I have none of my own, but I seriously don't think you have anything to worry about! I think Ryken is adorable just the way he is and I have seen babies before that are much bigger than both their parents, and it doesn't mean anything is wrong at all! Especially if, like you said, he is eating the normal amounts for his age. You have nothing to worry about! And about keeping him occupied and entertained, have you ever tried Baby Einstein DVD's? I know it sounds bad to stick your baby in front of the TV, but they are supposed to be very good for babies...and my niece and nephews love them!! They stay glued to them! You can read more about it on their website if you want: http://www.babyeinstein.com/en/our_story/about_us/

Tiffany said...

oh yeah, and cute new blog background, by the way : )

Dawn Hancock said...

Girl, did you see the pics of my little chubby baby? Well now she is a skinny little toddler. Just be happy that he is good and healthy now, cuz once his little legs start running he is never going to want to stop. Not even for food if he is like mine. Babies are meant to be good healthy chubby babies, and I am an expert so trust me! hahaha he is adorable and I am not just saying that!

Brianna said...

Cara, Cara, Cara... If you are a bad mommy, then I am a HORRIBLE one! You remember how chunky Britt was at that age, and now he's lost his baby rolls and I wish he were my little tank again! In the days when I worked at a daycare, I knew some truly bad moms (I could tell you some stories that would shock you) and trust me, you are about as far from a bad mom as anyone can be. :) If anyone ever makes you feel like you are anything less than a wonderful mommy, give me their names and addresses and I'll take care of it, k? I remember someone telling me, when Britt was 8 months old, that if he wasn't so chubby, he could be walking...and their skinny little 9 1/2 month old was barely crawling! I also have to tell you that it doesn't make you a bad mom to let your kid play by himself now and then. Studies show it's good for them to have some 'alone playtime.' Plus, if I had to entertain all day, my laundry pile would be even taller than it is!...if that's possible.

Kenise said...

Oh the joys of motherhood!!! Coming from a mom with BIG Babies--Kylie is following right along in her siters footsteps and topping all of the charts for height and weight! I think every doctors appointment we were always above that 95% line. At 2 months she is already a lovely 13 pounds!!! All of my girls were well over 20 pounds by 9 months! It just helps me get extra srong arms from carrying them all of the time!!! And love the exersaucer--we had one just like it for my girls, they loved it!!!! Hope to see you at the park next week! You should have come most people aren't arriving until 10:30am!!!

Gina Lee said...

Oh Cara! You know you arent a bad mom! People are just stupid. I get that ALL the time with Porter, and he was bigger than Ryken at that age. When people told me that I would just say..."I know, he is a healthy baby!!" I wouldnt take what people to heart...I love chubby babies. Most people do! And no you arent bad for wanting things to entertain them. I do that ALL day long with Porter. The jumparoo is my best friend when I want to shower, do my hair...or catch a few more Z's in the morning. I used to hide from Porter in the mornings because he would cry if he saw me. I know that sounds bad...but it was hide and he be perfectly fine in his jumper...or see my and whine whine whine. I took the more sane route! Ryken is a healthy happy baby. I dont know how much more successful you can be! Love you and that sweet boy!

marry said...

Cara, I am so glad you found me. It is so fun to see your blog and your little boy. How is your new house? I would love to see pictures of it. How is Justin liking his job? I was just thinking of you the other day and that double date we went on to the dollar store. Oh memories. I have added you to my blog and I am so excited to see more of what you are doing.

Hannah + 4 said...

Cute blog! I ddn't know you had one! Ryken is getting so big! I feel like it's been forever since we have seen you guys! he's so cute!

Hannah + 4 said...

I hope it doesn't mean your a bad mom, I was just telling Billy the other day that I wanted to get one of those exercise things for Avree! I'm always trying to find something to entertain her so I can get things done. Its pretty normal for moms I think

Becky said...

You are a good mom for getting your baby some toys--that's one of the ways babies learn things. Plus, it's good for babies to learn how to entertain themselves and VITAL for you to have a break.

Also, every baby is a different size so just don't stress about it. ALL 4 of my babies have always been in the 90th percentile or higher for both height and weight (in fact, both girls have been off the charts for both) and it's just the way they are. Sam was my chunkiest baby and now he is a skinny 6-year-old and my healthiest eater in the family.

Quit stressing, keep doing your best, and just enjoy yourself! :)