Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Calling all Moms...

Okay so I need some major help! Well it may not seem major but it is to me. We just got back from spending the weekend up at my parents house in Woodruff. (If any of you don't know where that is it is kinda in the white mountains area of Arizona, between Snowflake and Holbrook.) Any who. We had a great time during the day. Getting to just hang out in the nice weather up there. Even though it did rain it was a lot cooler then being here in Phoenix. And we especially enjoyed the time we got to spend with my parents and Ryken loved getting to hang out with his Grandma and Grandpa Baker. And of course Uncle Deak!



But here is where I need the help. Ryken slept like crap! He didn't even nap on the way up there but for like 20 mins. And didn't nap really at all while we were there. It was really bad. It has been bad in the past but never this bad. I mean major scream fest like every few hours and then it was like there was no way of comforting him at all. I felt like the worst mother ever. Thank goodness my mom was there to help out one of the nights and was able to get him to sleep at least for a good 6 hours. When we visit there he has a little pack and play to sleep in and he doesn't like that at all. So we tried to put some blankets on the floor and see if he did better there. But that was only good for like an hour. And the first night he was in bed with us and that was still hard. I don't know if it is something to do with the altitude change or if he is just a baby who likes to sleep in his own bed and no where else.



So I need some advice. Has anyone ever had these problems? Does anyone have some way of helping me out?



I only ask because we of course will be going to visit my parents still and I would like if he slept good there. But really I need help soon because this Saturday we are headed to California with Justin's parents and I don't want to have to have nights like this when we are there too. Because we will be there 5 nights! And my only other real help my mom can't go with us on this trip. So what am I suppose to do? PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN! (Even if you may happen to just be blog hopping or stalking or whatever you want to call it and you don't really know me and have some advice please leave it.) I don't want to go crazy just yet and if I have to do this again for 5 nights in a row I just may. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cara! When Josh was a baby, this would happen all the time when we would travel, and mostly to the higher altitudes. Has Ryken ever had an ear infection or had his ears checked? Josh had so many problems with his ears as a baby. Any time we would go up to Snowflake from the valley, his little ears would just hurt and hurt until we got back down to Mesa. Still today, his ears take longer to "pop" when traveling by car AND plane. They also give him problems when he swims. And, I think when you try to lay a little one down, that just hurts the ears worse, so you may not notice it so much when they are up and around during the day.

Gina Lee said...

Oh Cara, I'm sorry. Thats terrible. Porter doesnt sleep that great in St Johns either. He wakes up SUPER early. Sometimes it can be hard to sleep in the same room with him..for both you and Ryken. So I would go buy a sound machine...that might sooth him a little, and it will help you not hear every little move or breath he takes. I know they have ear drops, but I dont know if its his ears or not. But I guess anything is worth trying. Anyways, hope he does better in California...Porter did fine, so if it is his hears, he shouldnt have any problems. Also, if you have a DVD player for the car...I would use it so he can watch it. It will keep him entertained and it helps Porter calm enough in the car to fall asleep if he needs to. If you need to borrow ours let us know. You are welcome to it. Talk to you later.

ensman said...

Hey Cara I don't have that much experience with this but when Jase had his ear infections he would scream every time I would lay him down. That was really the only sign that I had because he didn't have a temperature or anything. You MIGHT want to just get his ears checked. Whenever we go up to Pinetop I usually hold him until he goes to sleep which I never do when we are at home. I think it is just harder for him to relax when he isn't in his own bed. Good Luck :) Hope you guys have fun and get some sleep!

KARI said...

I have always had this problem!! Teigen was really bad. He is almost 4 and when we go to Snowflake has to be a really good reason because he NEVER sleeps good. He does better now but still has a hard time sometimes. I remember one night Rick went out and got the portable dvd player out of our car and Teigen sat and watched cartoons all night. Then the next day I was thinking that he would be so exhausted and he was so so grouchy. What I have figured out is that he has a hard time breathing up there. He just cant get comfortable and relax. He always had ear infections. I think even if they dont have an ear infection the pressure from the altitude change still can be uncomfortable to them. You may want to get his ears checked before you go just to be safe. Another thing that helped us was a sound machine. I got mine at Wal-Mart for like $10 and it has been a lifesaver. Dont ever think that you are a bad mom. I have always read your blog and thought that you seem like such a good-caring mom. It gets easier the older they get. Sorry so long. I hope that helps and you have a great trip:)

southolive said...

Hi Cara! Higher altitudes make my babies gassy. We went camping this last weekend and Paisley was really fussy the first night and would not go to sleep. I tried all the normal tricks. Then realized she might be gassy. So Ginny pumped her legs by pushing them up to Paisleys chest and back down again. After the first pump Paisley let loose and fell asleep shortly after. This trick has worked for Carsyn too.

Hannah + 4 said...

Cara your not a bad mom! Your a great mom. Avree never sleeps good on vacations, We have a pack in play that she sleeps in when we go, I think that she doesn't sleep good bc she is in the room with us, at home she is in her own room. Thats my only guess. She just likes her own room and bed. She also get gassy when we go to, I usually just deal with it and let her sleep with us.